Friday, November 9, 2012

Coming out to myself

One day in the MTC, I was sitting on a chair outside of my dorm room. When the door of the room next to me opened, I glanced over and was greeted by the sight of a rather attractive Elder in my district completely naked, fixing his hair in the mirror (why someone cares about their hair when they're not even clothed, I have yet to understand). I hesitated before looking away, but then promptly returned to my room to sulk in the misery of my predicament. I felt completely ashamed and utterly alone.

In my first area, I made a decision. I figured that the reason it was so hard for me was because I had made it a secret. I decided that if I gave my secret away to God, everything would be okay, and so I wrote this poem to signify this new decision:

In years gone by I've held you here,
Secret of my heart,
But now at last in freedom's breath
From thee I will depart
And flying free through open skies
Where mercy's arms extend
I'll sing of my Redeemer's love
From now until the end

And I felt that. For most of my mission, my feelings of attraction for men were diminished, but they never left completely, and at moments, I was overwhelmed by them. At that point in time, I had accepted that I "struggled" with same sex attraction, but I could never admit, even to myself, of actually having feelings for any specific person. In retrospect, however, I definitely had a few crushes on some of the Elders in my districts. Neve my companions, though.

About nine months into my mission, one of my best friends from high school, who was writing me weekly, admitted to liking me...a lot (to be fair, it was because I insisted on her telling me the object of a love poem she had once written and shared with me). That letter made me so happy. I read it over and over throughout my mission. It became the symbol of my life-long hope that I could someday fall in love with a girl and live the Mormon dream. I guess I should say, too, that I have never had a girlfriend or kissed, cuddled, or held hands (in any way that I count, at least). Being alarmingly unattracted to girls, I blamed my lack of feelings on my own apparent unatractiveness and convinced myself that no girl could ever like me. My friend's letter was a ray of heterosexual hope in my homosexual nightmare.

I wrote her back and told her that I was interested in her, too, and that we would see what happened when I got home.

In the weeks and months after getting back, I realized that the "secret of my heart" was anything but "flying free." It was right there inside of me where it had been all along.

I went on one date with my friend. One. It didn't even last the whole night. As the semester progressed and I began, against my will, to develop feelings for a guy in one of my classes, I realized that I would have to be honest with her, and tell her about my lack of feelings.

It was hard for me, and mostly for her. I felt like a liar and a jerk.

But for the first time, I felt myself acknowledging my feelings for another man- not just feelings of sexual attraction, but intellectual and emotional attraction as well. The feelings were powerful, an dwarfed any feigns of interest I had in my friend. Being honest with her was difficult, but an important step for me.

As time went on, I found my feelings for this guy in my class deepening, and with them, my feelings of dissonance. I wrote this poem to express the paradox I found myself in:

The simple, sickly sweet surprise
I find when looking in your eyes
Supplies a satisfaction
That only e'er dissatisfies

I never want to see the day
When thoughts of you are gone away
But every morning when I wake
I pray that they'll put at bay

Sordidly seducing me
These images I ever see
Dancing through my crowded mind
Of me with you, and you with me

I know not which I want to seek,
To be free, or to be meek
Wanting what I don't desire,
I yearn for both, yet both are bleak


And that's where I found myself when I left for my trip to China. I was finally acknowledging my feelings for a man, and giving up on ballooning my feelings for girls into something more than they were. But with this acknowledgment came a new depth of pain, which resulted in the conversation with another friend in Qingdao, which I mentioned in my first post.

And that's the gist of the journey I took in coming out to myself. I left on my mission in denial, and here I am now with a truth I can't make sense of. Not yet, anyway. Writing this all out is helpful, though.


6 comments:

  1. Those are some great poems.

    When I was first coming out, I bought this old used book (from sometime in the 90s) that suggested that to become truly comfortable with yourself as gay, you had to metaphorically "kill" the heterosexual image of yourself, and with it, the heterosexual life you had envisioned for yourself. Clearly, a lot has changed since when that book was written, but that's what came to mind when you mentioned "giving up" trying to equate the feelings you had for girls with real interest.

    I've also wondered whether it is really possible to get that emotional and intellectual attraction to someone without the initial sexual attraction, or whether it is not at least a great deal more difficult. I feel like I have both deluded myself into believing I was intellectually attracted to a guy who was physically attractive and found myself physically attracted to a guy I found emotionally attractive, but who was not conventionally attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, what you said about metaphorically killing the heterosexual image of yourself. It's something I've been confronted with a lot lately--just whether or not I am comfortable abandoning that image. So far, I'm not. But I think that if things continue going in the same direction they are, I'll have to at one point or another.

      And I agree that physical attraction is usually what sparks intellectual and emotional attraction. I was just talking to a friend about this the other day, and I think that with those three the whole is really greater than the sum of the parts, but I find that it is physical attraction that usually sparks it.

      Delete
  2. Props for the poetry. It makes me wish i had something wise to say - but i don't. I'm trying to make sense of things too. Let me know if you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you didn't quit already did you?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not :) I've just been busy the last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohh - you mean you actually have a life outside of blogging?! ha - jk. i just read your new post. Its still scary how closely alike we think. If you ever want to talk outside of blog comments - just email me.

    ReplyDelete